Thursday, June 12, 2014

Soaring gardens - artist retreat

I couldn't wait to get here.  I have been very productive and am overly stimulated.  I worked on 5 paintings but did not finished them.  I created close to a dozen images using adinkra symbols some if which I completed the others I will complete at home.   I am over here in PA with 3 other women.  We get along well  and all work in different media.  We had long conversations about art and people. We spent hours working in Ora Lerman's  studio and produced a lot of work.  
It rained every day that we stayed there. This place is so beautiful that it takes my breath way but it is isolated. It takes us a half hour to get down out of the mountains to go to the restaurant. My GPS finally works out here, last time it got lost.  It's a completely different way of living here.  People do not lock their doors and are not worried about fracking affects on their water, they are happy to receive the checks. 
 The house we live in is a historical farm house which has been modernized, it lies on acres and acres of land. It is beautifully landscaped with lush vegetation and a pond which use to have coy fish. Last time I was here a crane came to the pond every day at four o'clock .  It didn't visit this time.  
The studio is a two story building with light sources all around.  It is big enough for the four of us to work in and not be on top of each other. Another four people could have worked in the lower level.  This woman has a large collection of books on diverse subject matter, I find it hard to believe that she was able to read all of them during her lifetime.

No comments: