Thursday, January 17, 2008

Pricing without emotion.

Spring Burst II 40x30 $2400 AoC* I use a formula to calculate the price, it is: L*W*F/.50 = retail price L = Length of the painting in inches, W= Width of the painting in inches. F=Factor allow for the growth in price of my paintings and .50 is the markup for the gallery Add cost of framing to the retail price of the painting. I know that many of you suffer when pricing your work, it's very emotional for you: you want to consider how much you love the piece, how much you suffered when creating the work and how much time it took to create the masterpiece. I want to focus on my work so I developed a formula to automatically create the price. I put the formula in an excel worksheet and after I enter digits for L, W and F(in the beginning I used 1 for Factor), the price is automatically generated. My husband later helped me simplify the formula to the one I use today. If I am not happy with the calculated price I use factor to make it more to my liking. Factor is used to increase the price of my paintings over time but can be used for other things. I also put roundup or round down in the formula of my excel worksheet. I keep the gallery markup at .50 regardless if it's a 50% commercial gallery or a %20 exhibition spaces. Thus pricing without emotion. *AoC = Acrylic on Canvas

No comments: