Thursday, March 26, 2009

An upcoming Corporate Exhibition

Curator visit to select work for a new exhibition It is interesting when a curator comes to visit your studio. In my case the studio is all over the place, my home in Teaneck, a friend's home in Harlem and in a storage unit located in Englewood. When the curator arrived I had all of my portfolios out and ready for her review. I made cinnamon coffee to make the home welcoming. The reason I have the portfolios is so she can get a feeling of what she wants before we actually look at the paintings. After looking at the portfolios we went down to the lower level to take a look at the actual work. She quickly got a feel for what she wants to express in the exhibition. Then slowly she pick out seven paintings from my Keyhole Series. Then we jump into my car and drive to my studio where she select another 5 smaller paintings. Later I make an appointment to take her to my friend's home to see another nineteen paintings. I have a huge inventory of paintings and am working on paper now because storage space is short in supply. This is a big discussion point with many of my artist friends, what happens to the work when we're gone. My answer is there will be no work when I'm gone. I hope I'm right!

No comments: