Saturday, April 21, 2012

Networking is cool

About three years ago I decided to attend a networking function for people in the financial industry(insurance, mortgages, banking...), I figure I would take my art where the money was or so I thought. I wind up meeting a lawyer who was an collector and curator for the New Jersey Law Center. Thinking I could interest him in my paintings I went over to talk to him. I gave him my card and showed him work on my palm pilot. He was interested alright but in a show for Black History Month at the Law Center. Disappointed I jumped at the opportunity, who knows what could happen. I sent him an email the next week, he responded with instruction of when, where and how. He suggested that I get in touch with him 2 months before February 2007, this was 2006. So the end of January 2007 I sent him an email. Meanwhile during the year I kept him apprised of all shows and activities I participated in. I get an email back starting with an apology so I knew the rest was bad news and it was. There seems to have been a miscommunication between him and the NJ Bar president who found another artist for the 2007 show. After a few emails and phone calls between the three of us we settled on the 2008 Black History show. The end of January I helped hang the February 2008 show. They provide everything, I just brought the work. It was quite a lovely space, we hung 11 medium and large paintings. About 50 people attended the reception, the food was delicious but no sales. I introduced new people to my work, who knows where it goes from there.

No comments: